The 2018 MWC held in Barcelona attracted more than 107,000 visitors, including 7,700 CEOs, from 205 countries and territories worldwide. GSMA Europe organised and facilitated a comprehensive programme for senior delegates from the EU institutions:
– At the 5th GSMA Europe-EIF high-level roundtable, entitled ‘The Global 5G Promise’, legislators, regulators and industry leaders discussed the forthcoming 5G revolution.
– The European Parliament delegation visited MWC exhibition stands, including those of DT, Orange, Telefónica, Huawei, Nokia, InterDigital and Samsung.
– Vice President Andrus Ansip and Commissioner Gabriel also attended MWC, where they visited the exhibition, the GSMA Innovation City and participated in a roundtable discussion with the CEOs of European mobile operators. In addition, VP Ansip joined the Ministerial Programme panel ‘Supporting the Transition to 5G’ and delivered a keynote on The Future of the Industry: Transatlantic Digital Policy and Regulation. Commissioner Gabriel joined the Trans-Atlantic Policy Dialogue.
– The GSMA Europe-BEREC Roundtable provided an excellent opportunity for the heads of European operators and other industry executives to discuss regulatory developments and the challenges ahead.
– Finally, the GSMA Government Leadership Award went to Estonia. Mats Granryd, Director General of the GSMA, presented the award to Urve Palo, the Estonian Minister of Entrepreneurship and Information Technology.
MWC 2019 will be held on 25-28 February in Barcelona.