The International Association of Institutes of Navigation (IAIN) is a non-governmental, non-profit-making organisation with the object of uniting national and multi-national institutes and organisations which aim to foster human activities at sea, in the air, in space and on land, and which may benefit from the development of the science and practise of navigation and related information techniques.
The aim of IAIN is achieved by, among other things:
- fostering cooperation and assistance between members,
- establishing technical committees or working groups to study specific problems and producing appropriate recommendations and standards,
- organising Congresses and Seminars relevant to its work,
- collecting and evaluating information about the activities of its Members, as well as encouraging, supporting and making known recent developments through its website,
- providing assistance to organisations requesting help, either technical or organisational, or in training,
- maintaining liaison with relevant intergovernmental and other organisations and offering specialised advice where appropriate.